Thursday, April 15, 2010

Our 51 Seconds of Swearing In

This is the 51 seconds they devoted to the United States Peace Corps on the news here in El Salvador. I was sitting nowhere in sight and quite possibly wasn´t even there at all because I spent most of my time harassing people for hot dogs and cheese doodles.



Oh, there were cheeseburgers, too.

Later in the night everyone from our training class was given superlatives. Megan got ¨Biggest security risk,¨ Sam got ¨Most likely to receive remesas,¨ Paul got ¨Most likely to impregnate a Salvadoran girl and then leave her,¨ Jordan (our quintessential UVA girl) got ¨Most likely to wear white linen to pick up poop.¨ My problem is that I must give off a funny vibe. I got ¨Most likely to ET (Early Terminate) and become a surfer.¨ Early Termination is when someone decides to leave their community early for whatever personal reason they may have. The thing about Early Termination is that here the staff also uses it when they want to get you the hell out (for whatever reason, drugs, guns, motorcycles) and stop pretending you´re in the Peace Corps. They give you the option to Early Terminate so you can still receive your benefits (and tell your daddy that you chose to leave) but technically, dropping it´s fancy name, you´ve been fired.

The uncomfortable thing is that I´ve been told more than once by more than 7 (so, 8) people that if anyone I am going to be ETed first. The thing is I have two daunting tasks ahead of me now... I gotta get kicked out and I still don´t know how to surf.

No comments:

Post a Comment